Monday, October 22, 2007

Sign of the Cross

The Sign of the Cross is a ceremonial hand motion made by the vast majority of the world's Christians. It is usually accompanied with the Tritarian Formula ("in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"). For Christians, the motion symbolizes the Cross on Calvary by tracing the shape of the cross in the air or on one's own body. This act may symbolize confession of faith in the Holy Trinity, a silent declaration of faith in Christ as the Savior and Redeemer of mankind or simply as a prayer.



http://www.saintnicholas.org/sign_of_the_cross.htm


2 comments:

Meghan said...

Learning about the meanings behind the sign of the cross helped me grow within myself and learn more about my own religion. Reading through this blog I understand that many of the practices are the same the my family and I participate in. I sign of the cross had a special meaning to me before and after reading this blog now I have such a greater appreciation.This group did a wonderful job explaining details to this religion.

Judaism said...

Even though I'm christian, I never realized what making the sign of the cross meant! I agree with Meghan, it really puts more meaning into making the sign of the cross. Thanks!